Wednesday, October 14, 2020

What I'm Reading

I'll be honest, I just lost track of time and forgot to post yesterday.  Nothing exciting is going on here, I'm still knitting those cotton/wool blend socks for Dave, and working on the Big Blue Blanket.  I'm currently working on another interminable cabling row.  I've completed 18 out of 22-25 pattern repeats, so at least another 4 repeats.  More if I have enough yarn (I'm pretty sure I will).  The sock is approaching the heel which I will probably start tonight.  Maybe tomorrow.  I think I might measure Dave to determine a good pre-heel length (I'm thinking 5", but that's just on my leg.)  

I'm totally into this sweater:  Mini Unbearable Hoodie though.  I want to order the yarn to make it for Gracie.  Really, though, I have to just cool my jets.  I have a bunch of stuff in the hopper already.  The yarn's not going anywhere.  But she would be so unbearably(!) cute in this thing!  

Anyway, I'm a reader.  I read a lot.  Every day (hours a day).  Between 75 - 100 books a year.  Interesting tidbit, I was watching a news story that was a bio of some political person (I don't remember who) and they showed his home with his library of "over 7,000 books, and he's read all of them."  And I thought, the numbers don't add up.  Let's say he reads at the top end of my range, 100 books a year.  That's 70 years of reading.  He could have been 70, but he wasn't reading these books as a newborn.  

I digress.  What I'm reading currently are the Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells.  I'm on the second book now.  Dave got them on Kindle, but they're available as e-books from my library (I use Overdrive/Libby).  I'm reading the Kindle version because I didn't want to wait for the hold.  Really good.  The first installment All Systems Red won just about every award out there - Hugo, Nebula, Locus, Alex.  I found it in a Nebula winners anthology (it's a novella) and told Dave about it.  He said that he'd gotten it and read it, and bought the next one in the series.  He claims he told me about it, but I don't believe him.  Our tastes rarely align in books, so if we both agree on something it's generally good.  I like fantasy, and I read a lot of YA stuff because I don't like things that are too dark (I read to escape, not be depressed) and YA stuff is what's out there.  That's not really Dave's style.  And even for me sometimes the teenage angst gets to be too much (seriously, how many times must a 16 year old save the world?).  

No comments: