Monday, June 19, 2006

Other SP Package

I came home from work today to discover a package on the front porch. It was from my Other SP!

I got:
Some amazing sock yarn (hmmm, maybe Pomatomus?)
A Chibi (yeah!!!)
Some chocolate (mmmm, and tiramisu is my FAVORITE!)
And a totally cool sock bag. (The color is off in the picture, it's really violet.) But look at the applique -- it's a sock, but it also could be an "L" for Laurie! (Humor me here.) How cool is that?

For all you non-spinners out there, I'll pass this bit of info along. The current (Summer 2006) issue of Spin-Off magazine features an article on dyeing sock yarn to make self-striping patterned skeins. Combine that with the "blank" (i.e. dye-able) sock yarn you can get from Knit Picks and even a non-spinner's in business. Well worth the price of the magazine, and there are some cool knitting patterns and other articles in there as well.

Ok, that's about it for the knitting news here. I did a little bit on my Sampler Scarf at knitting night on Friday, but not really anything noteworthy. I'm on the heel of my second pair of grey socks (this pair is for Younger Son), knitting those on the bus. Ho hum.

And as to why there's been no knitting, I've been reading. I'm auditioning books for Younger Son to spend the summer reading. I read
Magyk by Angie Sage and recommend it for the middle school + crowd (a bit long maybe for YS, though). And right now I'm looking at the Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III books (How to Train Your Dragon, How To Be a Pirate, and How to Speak Dragonese)[Phooey. Blogger won't do the pictures.] GREAT books for boys ages 6+. Younger kids will enjoy having them read aloud to them, and a great introduction to chapter books for slightly older kids. These are going off with YS to Florida.

No comments: