Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Trapped

I'm a knitter. Everyone who knows me well knows that I am. So when major gift-giving occasions crop up (as they regularly do) it has now become expected that I will produce a hand-knitted gift. And not just any handknitted gift, but because I am a knitter of long standing, I'm expected to produce an elaborate hand knitted gift. Not for me the simple garter stitch scarf. No, no, we want the matching scarf/hat/mitten set! Not just one pair of socks, no sir. An entire wardrobe of socks for me! Not just a simple 5 Hour Baby Sweater, no sirree! A layette including a sweater, hat, booties, and a blanket! Something in lace! I suppose I have only myself to blame. For years I have been using these occasions to stretch my knitting skills and I used to revel in making each item more elaborate than the last. This week as I'm struggling to get Younger Son's birthday socks knit and trying to figure out where I'll find the time to make something for my God Daughter's layette I realized I've become trapped by my knitting! Does anyone else feel this way? I don't want to disappoint anyone, but I don't have the time to make what I'd like. Ah well, all we can do is our best.

I've decided to make this dress in red with white fur accents (the ends of the sleeves, hem, and in place of the garter ridge at the bodice)for my God Daughter's baby. I've got a ball of white Fun Fur around here somewhere. Just have to find a nice red yarn. And these booties to match, both from the same book.

In other news, I've put a trace on Dave's birthday package, which has not yet arrived in China. I'm hoping that the search process shakes it loose from where ever it's been hiding and it gets delivered.

I'm now on book 3 of 11.

No comments: