Thursday, April 03, 2008

What's a Knitter to Do?

I'm thinking about baby knits. My cubemate at work is expecting. (She should find out tomorrow if it's a boy or a girl.) I would like to make something for her, BUT (you knew there'd be a "but", right?) here's the thing. I gifted her with a multi-directional scarf knit in yarn I got especially to match her coat for Christmas (she even noticed and mentioned when I gave it to her "Oh, this is the same color as my coat!") and she never wore it. Never. As in not at all, even though she wore another scarf (from Gap) almost every day. So, not a big appreciator of the handknits. I'm thinking, though, that she's kind of expecting (dreading?) that I'll knit something for the baby. And truth be told, I kinda want to knit something for the baby. But I don't really want to invest alot of time or money on something that won't really be appreciated. And it's got to be machine washable. I have some yarn in the stash that would do, foremost among them Cotton Tots, Cotton Ease, Moda Dea Sassy Stripes, and Jamie. But what to make? As much as I would like to make Hemlock Ring or something else vintage, realistically, it would be a waste of my time here. I'm currently leaning towards a 5HBS in the Cotton Tots (what I have most of in the stash) in either a pink multi and white with a bonnet (girl) or a blue multi and white hooded (for a boy). But then I think this might be the perfect opportunity to design a baby something. I have enough cotton/hemp yarn in natural to make a blanket, but I don't think I really want to make that kind of effort here. Ah, it's a losing battle here. I'm thinking whatever I make won't be used. Maybe I should just stick to a couple pairs of booties and call it a day. One of my knitting friends needs to have a baby!

5 comments:

DPUTiger said...

I'll bet you could make a stash Rocketry or Tulip out of some of that Cotton Ease ... or even a variety of the scraps! Stash busting!!! :)

Charissa said...

I like to make "stash monsteras" and that would be fun for a baby. They are just any stuffed animal made out of stash yarn. They don't take long, are lots of fun and since it's a toy, you wouldn't have to worry about if she's gong to wear it on the baby or not.

Rachel said...

I just made an Anouk dress (from Knitty) that was really easy and didn't take too long. You can find all sorts of really cute design ideas for the basic dress on Ravelry, and it uses worsted weight yarn, so a great stash-buster!

Deborah said...

I don't think you should make her anything.If you're really in need of baby knit fix, knit for a hospital preemie ward. They will appricate your hard work and the nurses will have it on the baby for the parents to see whrn then they visit. everyone wins!
I say this because, I made the MIL a beautiful alpaca hat/scarf set for christmas, and her comment..."It makes me itchey." Last time she gets hand made. Your work is worth more than that. If she never wore the scarf, she will never put something on the baby.

Heather said...

I like the stuffed animal idea, but I agree about the don't waste your time on the ungrateful... still...baby!!! oh, it is so much fun to make beautiful little things. So, I guess it comes down to what would give you pleasure to knit, not of obligation, of joy. You can never control what or how others will use your objects. If you want to knit something baby, do. If you want it to be appreciated, don't. I bet she has a registry at Target. It is almost as much fun to buy baby socks and cute onesies and it is way quicker.