Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Diagnosis Is...

I saw the orthopedist today and he said I was "easy". (Dave says now I have a professional opinion on that.) And that was before I flashed him my belly while trying to lift my arm over my head! He says I have a "Frozen Shoulder". But here's the best part -- NO ONE KNOWS what causes it. It's one of those things that make orthopedists scratch their heads and wonder. I do have a risk factor in that I'm a woman (it's twice as likely to happen in women) and I'm over 40. But you know what I really mean - IT'S NOT CAUSED BY KNITTING! Woo HOO! I don't have to give up knitting! Happy, happy! The doctor said it would go away on its own in oh, about two years (yep, I said years). But we're going to do some things to hurry that along a bit. I got a magic shot (cortizone) in my shoulder today, and a stronger anti-inflammatory than the Alleve I've been taking, and I get to go to PT. Yeah, baby! I'm gonna pick me out a real hottie to work with me! And the doctor says we're talking about months here to rehabilitate me. Hmmm, a standing appointment to have a cute young thing give me some "hands on" therapy for the next couple of months? I think I can handle it.

What with the appointment and the longer commute (the doctor was right by my dad's so I just parked there and hopped on the trolley in to work) I finished up my first sock of this pair (Grey Socks II) and started the second. And yes, the doctor actually saw me knitting and he still didn't say that caused the Frozen Shoulder.

1 comment:

Heather said...

nobody knows the trouble I've seen...
So much for Western Medicine. I guess it is all or nothing.
I hope your pt is strong, but gentle and hot enough to melt your cold shoulder. :) Um, I mean frozen shoulder.