Monday, September 24, 2007

Open House

Oh it was Open House at the school tonight. What fun! I signed up for parent/teacher conferences and it was like a walk in the park because I only had to schedule time with one child's teachers instead of two. I even managed to group them so as to minimize the climbing up and down stairs. Of course here at the beginning of the year the teachers are all very nice and want to appear approachable. We'll see how long that lasts. One teacher even commented on my knitting socks and told me he wore a size 12 shoe. I told him good luck with that.

Anyways, on to the knitting news. The Jitterbug socks are almost completed. I knit more at Open House after this picture was taken. I only have a round or two to knit and then cast-off. These babies just flew off the needles. Love the pattern (Widdershins) love the yarn (Colinette's Jitterbug). A bit of problem with the yarn, though. When I was winding it at Heather's, it had several breaks in the skein. I initially thought OMG, it's moths,and right there in front of another knitter; which is the knitter's equivalent of a very public and extreme attack of flatulence. "Well," I thought, "the knitting will tell." And so it did. Not moths, I think. I found 2 clean breaks in the yarn and 3 more weak spots, but no webbing or cocoon casings. I'm going with a caustic, I believe this skein may have had some undiluted acid dripped on it during the dyeing process. If it was just the breaks I'd have said that it was an unfortunate encounter with a box cutter during unpacking, but the last weak spot (which was a little crunchy as well) convinced me. Mystery solved, as far as I'm concerned. The sooner I finish these and get them washed, the better.

4 comments:

Charissa said...

Those look great! I'll have to try out that yarn sometime.

Speaking of sock yarn, did you get the rest of the yarn I sent with Steven for you? I feel awful it took so long!

Rani said...

SO GLAD IT'S NOT MOTHS! Imagine the implications for the other woolly stash. I shudder.

Heather said...

ohhhhh, jitterbug....
socks look great, I may have to be a copy cat.

Celtic Queen said...

OMG! Moths at your stashing level? That would be an ecological disaster! Glad you could rule it out.