Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Stuffed Up

So what have I been up to since my return from Paris? Knitting-wise I've been working on the Funky Gloves, which have now been renamed the Flashy Gloves. On account of the yarn, which is variegated, flashed badly. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, flashing is my favorite effect from variegated yarn. But this yarn just didn't cut it. Look at it there in the skein, it looks so good (the colors are fairly true). But it's so disappointing knitted up. Will I continue with the gloves? Yes. Will I use them? Yes. Are they everything I hoped they would be? No. Just let this be a lesson for all of you thinking about variegated yarn. The skein seduces you with it's mix of colors, but the knitted result can be very disappointing. Interestingly though, this yarn looks like it was designed to try and prevent this, because the color sequence reverses itself. It's green, red, yellow, blue, green, etc. for 4 repeats, then it's green, blue, yellow, red, green, etc. for 4 repeats. Wierd.

Otherwise, I'm a bit down in the dumps this week. Dave has gone away again. He's in Detroit now. I know, I tried to get tickets. I told him to tell his boss I was so enraged about him leaving that the only way he could go was if he got Super Bowl tickets. No go. At least he's home on the weekends. I was looking for him in the bed all Monday night, I kept moving over in my sleep trying to find him. I woke up all the way on the other side of the bed. And we're short-handed at work so I've been working OT. Not to mention that I keep messing up the jobs and making more work for myself. And it's cold and snowing. The younger Celting got to wear his "Magic" ensemble, as the Celtic Queen posted in comments. He truly was thrilled with it. Older Son has shovelling detail. He said one of the neighbors complimented him on his shovelling. I couldn't believe it! That's like getting a raise because you showed up for work once! (But maybe it will inspire him to do more.) Younger Son is avoiding me because he doesn't want to go to bed, so I'd better go track him down.

No comments: