Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Autumnal Equinox

 

I completed my Autumn socks.  I'll call them the Autumn Equinox socks.

I've been working on my Halloween Frankenstein socks for Gracie.  I am cutting apart the color repeats and making regular stripes while I increase and decrease for knee socks.  

I knit my ends in as I go.  Does anyone else do this?  I learned it  years ago from a Kaffe Fassett video.  I took some pictures, let's see if I can relate this coherently.





Here's my knitting ready for me to add in my next stripe color.
I add the new color and wrap it around the old

Then I knit the first stitch.  You can see the old color along the left needle and the new color along the right needle. I lay the yarn over the right needle and knit the next stitch, and I don't pull it through when I knit the stitch.  Then I knit the next stitch, which "catches" the end I'm weaving in.  This is a two-stich process to catch and weave in the end as you're knitting.  I continue that until I use up the end I'm weaving in.


But Laurie, you say, what about the other end?  Well, that end should be woven in the other direction.  It's just a thing, keeping the yarn moving in the direction it would have come from.  I take the end of the piece to be woven in (it's on the right here) and lay it over my right needle.  I can hold the end with the finger on my left hand.  Then I knit the two stitch 
"catch" as for the other direction.  The next time I pick up the strand with my right needle.  I continue this along the end back to where the new color started.
What happens when you mix up your ends?  Well... you get something that looks like this.  I ended up ripping this out, but I would have either closed the hole with some spare yarn or unwoven the ends and rewoven them in the right direction.
  











No comments: