Sunday, September 06, 2020

A Light in the Darkness

 

When my mom passed away about 20 years ago my sisters and I were sitting around in the hotel room they were staying in talking about my mom and how much we were going to miss her. My twin sister went out for a smoke and came back in a little shaken. She said she'd been having her smoke and had said out loud "Mom, I just need to know that you're ok. Please, just give me a sign that everything's ok." And just then the light above her had gone out.

Ever since, I think every time I see a street light go on or off that maybe it's my mom looking out for me. I can't tell you how many times I was walking to my car in the dark parking lot at work and the light directly above my car would flick on as I walked to it. Or I'd be driving home thinking about my mom and the streetlight I was driving by would flick off. 

The light pictured here is the street light on the corner I walk past just before I get to my house. For the past two nights it was out and the exact moment I walked under it it turned on.

Weird, right? I don't know that I really think it's my mom (but it is a nice thought that she's looking out for me), but the coincidence is compelling. 

No comments: