Friday, March 24, 2006

They Steal Your Socks

The Elder Celting's birthday is coming up in a few days, and so it was at just this time of year that I knit my very first pair of socks. I made them for the Celtic Queen to wear while she was in labor (I was her labor coach). They were Joan's Socks knit in Wool-Ease (Wheat, if you must know). And while I was knitting them, I kept telling CQ about how I was really glad to have socks to wear when I had Older Son, but that the hospital took them without me realizing it (I may have been a bit preoccupied at the time). So I had my reservations (we were going back to the same hospital), but CQ wanted them and so I obliged. CQ is having the Celting (late, she had to be induced, which meant that we had to get up and be at the hospital in the middle of the night. Both of my kids were born exactly two days before my due date, obviously that is precisely how long it takes me to gestate, but I digress.) and was most appreciative of the warm and cushy socks and they were much admired by the nurses and staff. But wouldn't you know it, we were distracted for a minute (there was an awfully cute baby involved) and they stole her socks. I couldn't believe it. I want to believe that they weren't incinerated, that some nurse coveted them and wanted them for her own, but whatever. So I don't have the first socks I knit anymore. Let this be a lesson to you about knitting labor socks. The hospital will steal them (well maybe not if Yarn Harlot is your doula, but otherwise I'd be suspicious.)

Well, I have to knit the Celting something for his birthday. I think I'll make him some socks.

No comments: