Thursday, August 20, 2020

Old Favorites

 The blandness of my current knitting leaves me with no pictures (I completed another cable row in the afghan, I knit another couple stripes on my striped socks.  Whoopee.)  So I will share a couple of pictures of favorite yarn colorways I dyed.

I called this colorway "Bell Bottom Blues" it is all shades of denim blues from palest acid-washed to darkest navy.  Some technical stuff- it's a monochromatic colorway, but wildly tonal; and randomly dyed.  There's five shades of blue there, as I said, in lots of depth of shade (dark/light) and it was dyed using the cold pour method (I mixed the dyes and poured them cold onto a skein of yarn) then steamed to set the colors.  Love, love, love this colorway.  Also I randomly poured around the skein, in no particular pattern and short (3-4 inch) lengths of each color.  I also dyed this colorway as a gradient, with the color shading in blocks from dark to light (or light to dark, depending on how you wound the ball).  I have no picture of the gradient right now (actually, since Dave took all my yarn pictures I'm sure he has it stashed away somewhere on one of his computers, but I have no access to it right now) but I do have a shot of some roving dyed in this colorway.




Another favorite colorway was "Primarily"


This was an experiment in hot bath ("kettle dyed") resist dyeing.  I wanted to see what would happen when I did three overdyed/resist dips using primary colors ("Primarily", get it?)  I started with a twisted skein and dyed it yellow until the bath exhausted, then re-tied the skein in knots and added red to the pot, then retied it again and added blue to the to the bath.  The whole time it was dyeing I kept thinking "I'm just going to get a lot of mud."  But when it was all over and the skeins were untied you could see all the colors.  Loved.It.   

No comments: