Friday, August 21, 2020

Long Lamented

Since I'm knitting socks again for the first time in about a decade or so, I'm feeling the need for some more size 1 double pointed needles.  My favorite dpns are the long lamented Inox needles (I spent way too long searching for them on the internet today, they're now considered "vintage").  They were fabulous.  Some kind of coated metal (aluminum?  Steel?) that met all my perfect sock needle requirements. They were:

  1. Metal.  Don't even get me started on the whole broken needle thing.  Especially in the small sizes like this, if I could snap it like a toothpick?  Then it's a toothpick, not a knitting needle.
  2. Coated with something that gave them just enough grip.  This is a hard thing to quantify, but stitches moved along smoothly and quickly without sliding off unexpectedly.
  3. Long enough.  I can't abide 6" dpns.  That length is just long enough that the point ends up digging uncomfortably into the meaty part of my hand (at least the way I hold my needles).  My beloved Inox needles were 10".
  4. Pointy.  OK, maybe too pointy (they would dig a little hole in my finger if I used them too much).  But the rounded points (I'm looking at you, Addi Turbos) drive me nuts.
They were becoming scarce 5-6 years ago (the last set I got was from Kathy's Kreations and they looked like they'd been there since the '70s).  I noticed then that they were also sold under the Pym brand name, but that didn't turn up anything either.  I'm sure my old set are around some where, probably with a sock hanging off them.  (Wait, I think I did see them in the attic recently.  I think they still had this pair hanging off them.)
Just a random picture from the internet.  Look, there they are on the left. Too bad I can't buy them... 

I ordered some Knitter's Pride Carbonz and Hiya Hiya steel needles to test drive.  They should be here Sunday.

PS - I'm making the heel flap on my stiped socks and am not quite at an interminably long cabling row on the blanket.

No comments: